Nissan has introduced a new, cheaper variant in its Nissan X-Trail e-Power family, with a new ST-L model lowering the entry point to the brand’s electrified SUV family.
The new ST-L e-Power with e4ORCE sits below the existing electrified Ti ($54,190 MSRP) and Ti-L ($57,190 MSRP), with the new model kicking off at $49,490 before on-road costs.
It means Nissan’s e-Power tech has fallen below the the $50k barrier for the first time in Australia, but still positions the electrified powertrain solution above the cheapest Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, which starts at $40,550 for the GX Hybrid.
That said, like all e-Power X-Trails in Australia, the new ST-L also arrives with e4ORCE 4WD, and Nissan says its positioning the tech as a more premium entrant.
“Nissan’s e-POWER technology has been incredibly well received by our customers, and we’re excited to be able to offer this efficient, EV-like drive experience across even more of the X-Trail range,” says Nissan Australia Managing Director, Adam Paterson.
“We’ve always said that e-POWER needs to be driven to be believed, and the introduction of the X-Trail ST-L e-POWER with e-4ORCE will give even more people the opportunity to do just that.”
Unlike a Toyota hybrid, Nissan’s e-Power solution sees a 1.5-litre petrol engine used as a power generator, rather than something that drives the wheels. The engine can either recharge the battery, or power the electric motors, but it’s electricity that delivers your forward momentum.
Nissan says that delivers a smoother, quieter EV-like drive experience, but it also can’t match the fuel savings offered by a conventional hybrid, with the X-Trail e-Power returning a combined 6.1L/100km.
The ST-L’s standard equipment includes:
- e-POWER (2.1kWh battery, variable compression ratio 1.5L turbo-petrol 3cyl engine, power generator, inverter and twin electric motors, combined system output of 157kW)
- e-4ORCE 4WD system
- e-Pedal Step
- Active noise cancelling
- Black V-motion Grille
- Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System
- Privacy glass
- Auto dim rear-view mirror
- Fog lights
- Leather accented steering wheel
- Heated front seats
- Synthetic leather trim
- Luggage boards
- Dual-zone climate
- 18” alloy wheels
- Digital Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection
- Tyre pressure sensor monitor
- Auto-fold, power-adjust heated mirrors
- Auto LED headlights
- LED rear lights
- High Beam Assist
- 2 USB ports for front seats, 2 for rear seats
- 8” infotainment with DAB+ audio and 6 speakers, wired for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Far side airbag
- Emergency Stop Signal
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rear Seat Alert
- ProPILOT with Lane Keep Assist
- Safety systems including Predictive Forward Collision Warning, Intelligent Cruise Control with Traffic Sign Recognition, Lane Departure Warning and Prevention, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Rear Auto Emergency Braking (with pedestrian and cyclist calibration), Junction Assist, and Driver Attention Alert